- New NERC-funded project starting in June 2014 'Analysis of historic drought and water scarcity in the UK: a systems-based study of drivers, impacts and their interactions'. Research will be conducted into Language Cascade Mining from Social Media
- The 4th Making Sense of Microposts (#Microposts2014) has been accepeted at the World Wide Web Conference. Papers due: 7th January 2014. Also to feature entity extraction and disambiguation challenge.
- Begun supervising a new Ph.D. student: Daniel Kershaw, who will be looking at language diffusion through social networks
I am a Lecturer in Social Computing at the School of Computing and Communications at Lancaster University. My core research interest is in the area of Social Computing where I examine how users engage with the social web and social media, and how such engagement changes over time and the factors that are linked with such changes. To facilitate my research I examine the following topics:
- Automated prediction methods based on machine learning (i.e. objective optimisation techniques)
- Data mining using statistical models and scalable pattern recognition techniques
- The semantic web and linked data, including user and community representation paradigms
- Identity disambiguation and coreference resolution
Before joining Lancaster I worked for two years (2010-2012) as a Research Assciate at the Knowledge Media Institute (KMi) at the Open University, Milton Keynes, on the EU-Funded Integrated Project ROBUST. On the project I worked on semantic models of user behaviour, role mining and community health and behaviour change prediction methods. Before joining KMi I studied for a Ph.D. (2006-2010) under the supervision of Prof. Fabio Ciravegna at the University of Sheffield. My Ph.D. thesis explored automated identity disambiguation methods and how such methods could be supported using Social Data leveraged from Social Web platforms such as Facebook, MySpace and Twitter. Prior to my Ph.D. studies I studied for a Masters in Software Engineering at the University of Sheffield (2002-2006).