- Funds are available for Computer Science Ph.D. studentships at Lancaster University. If you are interested in studying for a Ph.D. in any of the following topics then contact me: social network evolution, recommender systems, digital identity, and attention economics. Deadline: 1st March 2013.
- Concept Extraction Challenge at the third Making Sense of Microposts (#MSM2013) workshop has been launched. Deadline: 17th March 2013. $1500 prize sponsored by eBay!
- The third Making Sense of Microposts (#MSM2013) workshop has been accepted at the World Wide Web Conference 2013. Stay tuned for details!
I am a Lecturer in Social Computing at the School of Computing and Communications at Lancaster University. My research interests centre around the Social Semantic Web and how information can be processed and interpreted by machines via formal semantics. In particular my work focuses on automated disambiguation methods using machine learning techniques, and assessing digital identity and user behaviour information that is provided by users and subsequently spread over the Web.
Before joining Lancaster I worked for two years (2010-2012) as a Research Assciate at the Knowledge Media Institute (KMi) at the Open University, Milton Keynes, on the EU-Funded Integrated Project ROBUST. On the project I worked on semantic models of user behaviour, role mining and community health and behaviour change prediction methods. Before joining KMi I studied for a Ph.D. (2006-2010) under the supervision of Prof. Fabio Ciravegna at the University of Sheffield. My Ph.D. thesis explored automated identity disambiguation methods and how such methods could be supported using Social Data leveraged from Social Web platforms such as Facebook, MySpace and Twitter. Prior to my Ph.D. studies I studied for a Masters in Software Engineering at the University of Sheffield (2002-2006). I am currently studying part time for a BSc in Mathematics and Statistics with the Open University.
My current research interests lie in the following fields:
- Semantic Web/Linked Data
- Social Web and Digital Identity
- Machine Learning
- Disambiguation/Coreference Resolution
- Automated Prediction/Regression Modelling